Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"This wheel keeps working now"


And airports
See it all the time
Where someone's last goodbye
Blends in with someone's sigh
Cause someone's coming home
In hand a single rose

And that's the way this wheel keeps working now
That's the way this wheel keeps working now
And I won't be the last
No I won't be the last,
To love her

-John Mayer, "Wheel"

I just purchased John Mayer's new live from Los Angeles CD "Where the Light Is." I absolutely love John Mayer, not only for his amazing voice and guitar-playing skills but also for his really beautiful lyrics. I was reading and rereading Mayer's lyrics, old and new, when I came across his 2003 song "Wheel." Many of his songs deal with love (usually the heart breaking part) but I never fully understood true heart break until recently. So I never appreciated the message in this song. He's talking about this "wheel" that allows us to keep moving along. He reassures that we're not going to be stuck in the same place forever, we're going to keep turning and changing. I love his mention of the airport, where you can see the wheels turning in everyone's lives and where there is a mixture of happiness and sadness. There, you can literally see the "arrivals" and "departures" gates. Literally see people walk in and out of your life. That's just the way life is. I love the song even more now because it gives me hope that my life's not going to stop here at this low point. I know I'm going to pull myself up and eventually find another person to love. There is no ending...it'll just keep moving, I'll keep "working."

My favorite song of John Mayer's (and it's hard to pick one favorite) is "Belief." When I heard him play live in concert last summer, I almost cried when he played that song because it sounded so amazing (oh, and I did cry when the concert was over). Just everything is perfect. The lyrics, "Belief is a beautiful armor/ But makes for the heaviest sword" are so poignant. And I love Mayer's commentary on the war we're currently involved in...

"What puts a hundred thousand children in the sand/ Belief can/ Belief can/ What puts the folded flag inside his mother's hand/ Belief can/ Belief can..."

He's saying that when we believe something so ardently, we can sometimes follow it to detrimental lengths. Having a belief is a wonderful thing but it cannot be coupled with narrow-mindedness. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. You may not share the same belief as someone else but that doesn't make either of you right or wrong. That's the problem with belief and faith: the distinction between what's right and wrong. You have to keep an open mind...and be willing to accept all possibilities. It can sometimes be hard to decide whether or not to fight for what you believe in...if it's just a belief, how can you be certain you're doing the right thing?




This is a really cool video from John Mayer's YouTube site. A version of Justin Timberlake's "I Think She Knows" which I like a whole lot more.

No comments: