Friday, July 11, 2008

Mt. Adams

The coolest place ever: Mt. Adams.



Today Uncle Ned, Mom, Dad and I went to visit the Cincinnati Art Museum in Eden Park. In all of my years, I've never been there.



I absolutely loved the museum. First off, it was free! And the place is gorgeous. I never considered myself an artistic person and I've never really understood or appreciated art. But I really enjoyed it. I loved the artifacts from Ancient Egypt and Greece. However, the artwork was my favorite part.




I stared at this van Gogh painting for forever. I never thought much of van Gogh but this work amazed me. From far way, you see the flowers, right? But if you stand up close to the painting, there are no flowers...you can see he just swept brushes of color...there are just all of these yellow and orange and white strokes.




I fell in love with this photograph taken by Jan Saudek, simply titled "Life." You always see photographs of mother and child but I love that this picture illustrates the bond between a father and his child.




This was taken by Dorothea Lange. I loved it because, for some reason, it reminded me of Grapes of Wrath.

After spending a few hours looking through the museum, we went to eat at Mt. Adam's Pavillion. We climbed a couple flights of stairs to sit on the deck overlooking the hillside, with a terrific view of the river and of downtown Cincinnati. It felt like, for a minute, I wasn't in Cincinnati...which I usually consider to be pretty ugly. But Uncle Ned was pointing out why he loved Cincinnati, saying "if you have hills and water, they make a beautiful city."

No comments: