Tuesday, July 15, 2008

All needles are NOT created equal

You know what really pisses me off...

My health insurance company.

Or my pharmacy.

Or whoever the fuck messed up my last order of medication.

As part of my juvenile diabetes treatment, I have to take a dose of long-acting insulin called Lantus every 24 hours. Since my diagnosis, I have used a discreet pen device with a cartridge of insulin that uses relatively small, painless needles to inject myself (like the one below).



However, some genius sent me Lantus in a vial rather than a cartridge.



This only means that I must use a syringe (like you see the doctor's use) to draw my insulin from the vial and deliver it to myself. Basically, I have a supply of Lantus that I can not inject in the way I've been doing for the past three years.



I hate the damn syringes because 1) they are scary and I hate big needles, and 2) they are annoying and inconvenient.

Now I don't mind having to teach myself how to use the syringe. What I do mind is having to carry around my vial of insulin as well as a bunch of syringes like a fucking heroin addict.

Many people are already startled to see me using my small needles in public...wait til they catch a glimpse of me tapping the air bubbles out of my giant monster needle so I can inject "drugs" into my body.

And, the best part, the insurance company refuses to take back the shitty vials that I did not order.

I'm trying not to show my mom how angry this makes me because she's angry enough for the both of us. And I will never complain to Dad or to her because they worry way way too much (I'm pretty sure that Mom's stress over my diabetes is the reason she has high blood pressure). I'll just suck it up (which is really the only way you can deal with this disease) until I can make my next order. In three months.

2 comments:

calencoriel said...

Damn, kid...that sucks. Especially when you were faced with the number of carbohydrates I sent your way yesterday...

sorry for that.

Arun.N.M. said...

Sorry to hear you received vials instead of penfill.You can surely lodge a complaint and get some compensation out of it.Dont you have Insulin syringes with small needles?The syringe you showed in the pic is the ordinary one not used for Insulin.