Monday, July 7, 2008

My letter to Adam...

I miss

  1. How I would squeeze his hand three times to say "I love you" without having to say anything at all
  2. The way he would rub my skin that way I loved
  3. How I would give him a million tiny butterfly kisses all over his face
  4. How I used to lay my ear to his chest to listen to his heart beat
  5. Watching him play with Sadie
  6. The way he would kiss me on the forehead
  7. Thanksgiving (November 23, 2006)
  8. The way he would mess up my hair
  9. The way he would take care of me when my blood sugar was low
  10. The smell of his room
  11. Resting my head in the place where his shoulder curved into his chest
  12. Seeing his smile when we got to see each other after a long time apart
  13. Talking on the phone almost every night
  14. How I would rub his scalp and neck the way he liked
  15. Kissing his stubbly chin
  16. Marveling at the difference between our skin colors
  17. Lying in bed next to him
  18. When he would burn CDs for me
  19. Falling asleep in his arms and waking up to find our bodies tangled together
  20. Standing tippy-toed on the tops of his steel-toed boots to give him a kiss
  21. Feeling his arms wrap around me and pressing my face into his chest
  22. When we didn't have to talk at all because our silence was comfortable
  23. Snuggling together under the bed covers when I was cold
  24. Closing my eyes right before we would kiss
  25. St. Patrick’s Day 2007
  26. Always trying to impress him
  27. Holding hands while he drove
  28. Feeling his hands on my waist
  29. Feeling his hands anywhere on my body
  30. Worrying about him
  31. Wearing his big hoodies
  32. How I would straddle him in bed while we had a normal conversation
  33. Listening to his voice, watching him as he spoke passionately about something
  34. Arguing with him about certain topics
  35. Laughing when I got too angry
  36. The way I'd rest my leg on top of his when I'd lay beside him
  37. The time he came to see my tiny, five-minute performance in the musical
  38. Reminding him to be nice
  39. When he played the piano for me
  40. Finally hugging him after an hour and a half of driving and two weeks of being apart
  41. When he would ask me to sing for him but I was too shy
  42. Sleeping on his tiny dorm room bed
  43. Running my hands all up and down his bare chest
  44. The way he'd complain that I hogged the covers
  45. Watching the Discovery channel together
  46. Our trip to Wal-Mart to buy ingredients to make chicken quesadillas
  47. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
  48. How he would drive my car when I was too tired
  49. When he would tell me I looked beautiful
  50. Our first kiss on my couch
  51. When I could tell him he was a jerk to everyone except me
  52. Sending him a naughty picture of myself over the phone
  53. The time we spread sleeping bags on my floor so we could lay together
  54. The way he would gently kiss my neck
  55. Spending an hour trying to choose a movie at Hollywood Video
  56. When he told me he wanted to "show me off" to his rugby friends
  57. Eating Lucky Charms at the kitchen table and playing the game on the back of the box
  58. Seeing him dressed up in a tuxedo
  59. His Jeep with the broken door
  60. The parking lot of Landmark Church
  61. Kissing his clean-shaven chin
  62. CollegeHumor.com
  63. Scrubs
  64. Taking stupid goofy pictures together
  65. The way he gave me goose bumps
  66. When he got a ticket while driving my car
  67. The way I'd put up the armrest in the movie theatre so I could be closer to him
  68. How different we were
  69. Pretending to be angry when he took bites of my food
  70. The way he would squeeze my ass
  71. Seeing him happy
  72. Having him be my first kiss on New Years
  73. The way he would blink in almost every picture we took before dances
  74. The butterflies I'd feel in my stomach when I first started liking him
  75. How he would console me when I worried too much
  76. Knowing I’d see him again but still crying when he’d leave
  77. Trying to look pretty for him
  78. Valentine's Day, when he gave me Cinnamon Toast Crunch he’d decorated with little hearts
  79. Our first date at Chipotle, when he said he was kidnapping me
  80. When he would tickle me so much I'd cry
  81. The puppy dog face he would make, pretending to be sad
  82. When I took him to meet my family at my sister's wedding dinner
  83. Making up after a fight
  84. How cute he looked in his steel-toed boots
  85. Hearing the sound of his car pull up in the gravel driveway
  86. Our one-year anniversary
  87. How he loved me in sweatpants
  88. Trips to Burger King with him
  89. How he'd lick my face to gross me out
  90. When he was Aladdin
  91. When he tried to fix the heating in his Jeep when we started dating so I wouldn't freeze
  92. Listening to Angels & Airwaves together
  93. Giving Eskimo kisses
  94. Looking into his eyes
  95. The time he told me he was proud of how I took care of my diabetes
  96. The Festival of Lights when we saw the elephants up close
  97. Watching Crank
  98. Wanting him so badly every day he was gone
  99. Never feeling alone
  100. Saying "I love you"


After we broke up, I would have these flashes of memories of us, like the time we played the game on the Lucky Charms box (and confused the similar-looking red balloon and heart charms). They weren’t always memories; they could be ordinary habits I had when I was around you, such as putting up the armrest in the theatre, or the simple moments we shared many of, like kissing. Sometimes they would make me cry, sometimes they would make me smile. But they were all the things I took for granted and that I miss terribly now. When the memories began to overwhelm me, I decided to write them all down and, gradually, the list grew longer and longer. I never intended to show this to anyone but when I couldn’t find the right words, I thought maybe I could use this to illustrate how truly sorry I am. I wanted to show you that I see everything that my mistake has cost me. I messed up. And I’m sorry. I’m also sorry that all I have left to give you is a list.

Emily

No comments: