Saturday, July 5, 2008

Uncomplicate everything, please

When I woke up at 8:30 am (a very early start for me, mind you), I was not prepared to read a single text message which would drive me to craziness and cause me to overoverover-analyze. This morning I routinely checked my cell and discovered a text from "Assface" which had been delivered at 6:30 am. By the way, "Assface" is the nickname I gave him. You know the one...the only person I ever place in italics. The text read, "I'm leaving for a week but do you want to talk when I get back?" I was so shocked by the smallest bit of kindness I could detect in his question. He was thinking of me for a second. Deep down, maybe he wants to see me too, I thought hopefully. Maybe he wants to be nice. But as the day continued, I began to second guess myself. Maybe I was mistaken...maybe he wasn't being all that nice. It was probably meaningless to him. I even started fantasizing about him wanting to get back together! From one tiny text message that took him about one second to deliver, I derived this absurd amount of hopefulness. I know how absolutely ridiculous that sounds. But a part of me wants to believe that, in his impulse to send that text, there is a tiny grain-of-sand-sized bit of hope. Not hope that we will ever be friends but hope that we can put this behind us. We didn't exchange hurtful words...it was just...simple. Uncomplicated. That's what I want: for everything to go back in its place, back to simplicity.

No comments: