Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow days have lost their luster



I hate to admit it...but snow days in high school were much more exciting than snow days in college.

Back in high school, a snow day meant that I would not have to wake up at 6:30 in the morning. I could sleep until noon, only to be awoken by the smell of Mom and Dad making bacon and pancakes. I have so many good memories from snow days in high school. I remember, the morning after a bad snow storm last year, all of my friends and I lost a massive snow ball fight to some vicious ten-year-olds. Or the time, on an unexpected snow day during the Pasta for Pennies campaign last February, our entire class banded together--shoveling driveways and such--to raise a whopping $1,000.

In college, it's different. If I had had classes today, I would have woken up at eleven and I would only have had two classes. There is no Mom and Dad...no pancakes, eggs or bacon (unless I want to risk food poisoning by trusting the cafeteria downstairs). I have no snow pants, no snow boots, no heavy duty gloves ideal for snowball-making, and no sled! I mean, there aren't even hills in this city!

I shouldn't be complaining since my three hour Chemistry lab was canceled today, and my roommate Kelly and I have been enjoying a lovely Top Chef marathon. But I think snow days may have finally lost their luster for me.

No comments: