Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Congratulations, Soldier of the Cycle

So, I have been putting off writing about my Georgia trip because...no matter how I phrase it, it inevitably sounds cheesy and lovey dovey. It was an incredible weekend that I want to share but I'll cut the real cheese "You complete me" kind of lines.

The trip got off to a pretty rough start. On Wednesday Dad, Sarah and I didn't leave Cincinnati until six in the evening (my Chem final in Columbus caused the delay) so we reached Atlanta, exhausted, around two in the morning. And a mere four and a half hours later, we were waking up to drive to Adam's 10 AM graduation at Fort Benning.

After carefully maneuvering around busy traffic and nearly hydroplaning in the schizo Georgia weather, we arrived on the base. The graduation ceremony had been moved indoors due to the torrential downpour - although, by the time the ceremony had started, blue skies and sunshine were peering out from behind the thick clouds.

Walking in the packed gymnasium, I saw over 200 uniformed young men standing perfectly still, facing the audience. I searched the sea of completely stoic faces only to find Adam standing apart from the other men, front and center. Tissues damnit, I thought to myself as a half sob, half ecstatic laugh escaped my throat.



We soon learned that the reason Adam stood apart from the other graduating men was for his recognition as Soldier of the Cycle. From what I could piece together (because Mr. Modesty didn't provide much of an explanation!), the award is given to the soldier with the best score on a board which tests overall Army knowledge, and who also receives the best PT score, best marksmanship score, etc.

I was beaming with pride as he received his honor - it made the whole eight hour drive through the night on no sleep entirely worth it. More than worth it. You know the person you love is special already but it feels good for others to recognize that, too. Facing all of the men, the Soldier of the Cycle recites the Soldier's Creed line by line for the other men to repeat back to him. Reverberating throughout the room, the cadence sounded so impressive:

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.




When the soldiers could finally greet their friends and families, I was unsure how I should approach Adam - the soldier version of him. I didn't want to embarrass him or break his tough facade but I wanted more than anything to push passed everyone and jump into his arms. He was surrounded on all sides by people wishing to congratulate him...so I settled on wrapping my arms around his midsection and squeezing the life out of him.

As I stood beside Adam shaking hands, a woman came to face me, asking, "Girlfriend or wife?" I laughed for a second, taken aback - of course no one has ever mistaken me for a wife before. "Girlfriend," I replied. "Well, I hope you become an Army wife someday," she said, embracing me. Again I just laughed, too surprised to respond.

For the rest of the day, Adam was free. We spent the better half of the afternoon in the nearby shopping mall - which was teeming with newly graduated soldiers and their families. Even if we were simply walking through the bookstore, sitting in the Food Court or checking my Chemistry grade (A!) on a Verizon store cellphone, it was an amazing perfect day. Because for the first time in two and a half months, I could kiss the person I love whenever I wanted to.



I pick Adam up from the airport in Columbus on Friday!! Then we get to spend his two week leave together. YAY! I can't wait!

Happy Holidays everyone!

No comments: