Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thankful for writing




Writing has always been very therapeutic to me. I enjoy writing about things...whether they are happy, sad or insignificant. This blog was started out of a broken heart - to serve as a small haven where I could clear my head by writing. And it has, since then, remained a little place of solace to make some sense of everything around me.

Being separated from the person you love is hard - sometimes it can be pretty damn unbearable. But I have discovered how soothing it is to simply write to him.

After he left for Basic Training, I purchased this thick spiral-bound red notebook specifically for writing letters. In two months, the metal that had held it together has loosened and fallen apart from my overuse. The pages have also begun to dwindle - the front and back covers now seem too large to contain the few pages remaining. So many times I've reached for that red notebook through a haze of tears because I had no where else to turn. Even if I didn't intend to send him some of the things I wrote, it was a relief to almost pretend I was speaking to him. And upon finishing a letter, I'd realize that my sadness had begun to ebb the moment I touched my pen to the paper to write his name. The process of writing to him was so uplifting that, by the closing, I'd find my tears dried and a smile on my face.

This Thanksgiving - after looking back over the hardest year I've yet endured - I gave thanks for the gift of writing ability. It has truly helped preserve my sanity and happiness throughout.

And I hope everyone else had a happy Thanksgiving! Happy December (almost)!