Friday, September 19, 2008

Wind Storm Aftermath

Finally! I have power after five days without. A few things I learned/discovered during those dark days:

1. Put your insulin on ice immediately! Or else you're as good as dead. Just kidding. It increases the risk of losing its potency when it warms up. Or something stupid like that.

2. I get a lot more accomplished when I don't have my laptop, cell phone or television to distract me. I purchased every single item I'll need for school (jeans, iPod, hole punch, pillows, etc.), jacked boxes from Costco to pack all of it up, ran a total of 22 miles, gave the dog a bath...very productive.

3. John Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors at this moment. In my abundant amount of spare time this past week, I finished his book East of Eden which I liked much better than Grapes of Wrath.

4. Bread and cheese is a simple and delicious combination. And I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to Diet Coke...I sought it every single day regardless of the distance I had to drive.

5. Although I suck at Risk and Stratego - or any board game involving strategy for that matter - I still have a lot of fun playing. I did manage to beat the Master Nerd of Board Games at least once!

6. I'm glad that I've lived next to train tracks for my entire life because the roar of chainsaws doesn't disturb my slumber at all.

7. Whoever is Up There wanted to apologize by making the past two days so absolutely gorgeous that I didn't even want to be indoors.

I took some pictures of the damage the morning after the storm...although I didn't capture anywhere near all of it (my neighbor had a tree go right through the roof), it's a good visual explanation of why we didn't have power for a week.













Power lines = bungee cords


















One after the other













Pulled the sidewalk out of the ground









I'm glad to have electricity again. I won't have to: lug my laptop and laundry to Adam's house every day, shower in the creepy darkness, go to bed early, live on cookies and donuts and Chinese takeout, or think to myself duh a split second after I flip on a lightswitch.

1 comment:

achilles3 said...

"Whoever is Up There"...is about the funniest thing I've read in a while!
CLASSIC!