Sunday, September 28, 2008

Good day

Adam called from Georgia today! I was so incredibly happy to talk to him and to hear that I have two letters to look forward to already.

I wrote this post a week ago but, for some reason, I didn't want to publish it. But I miss Adam a lot and it makes me happy to read...

Yesterday Adam and I spent our last full day and night together. In the afternoon we decided to take the dog with us on a picnic in Sharon Woods. We drove to our usual secluded spot where Sadie could run around and play. There the three of us ate and took a short nap until we were chased away by several annoying bees.

"I need to get an address book," Adam said, glancing at me from the corner of his eyes as we drove out of the park. I just nodded my head. At Wal-Mart while we searched for the address book, we hardly said a word to each other.

The air between us started to feel tense as the heavy realization of the end settled in. We started fighting and eventually I stormed out onto the porch. As I sat fuming, I watched two little kids across the street play in the front yard...and observing the simplicity of their childhood happiness calmed me. I wish I was still completely oblivious and happy about everything all the time, I thought. A few minutes later, Adam stuck his head out the door..."Baby, come back inside," he smiled. I glared at him as I walked back into the house but I squeezed his hand three times, our silent "I love you." It's so simple, it's ridiculous.

I was still angry...but that was until we started watching a Man vs. Wild episode in which Bear Grylls' face swells to the size of a watermelon after he gets stung by a bee. After we'd laughed at Bear's idiotic attempt to kill a deadly snake through half-opened eyes, things had returned to normal. That evening we watched the rest of the Man vs. Wild marathon while preparing our last dinner together. Our delicious meal consisted of some of our favorite foods: crispy Ore Ida french fries for appetizers, classic Mac n Cheese for the main course, and a huge bowl of Lucky Charms for dessert. Yumm.







Around midnight, we took a blanket outside to gaze at the lights and the stars. We talked about what we would do and where we would live if we got married ten years from now. He wants to travel across Australia where we can raise our kids like the Wild Thornberries. I want to live in a house surrounded by acres and acres of land where the seasons change and every year before Christmas, we can chop down our own tree. And I warned him that we were going to have a big family because I've always wanted one. He agreed as long as we can create our own Little League team.

When we got back to his house, the both of us tried as hard as we could to stay awake but I gradually fell asleep in his arms. It was a good day.

1 comment:

PHSChemGuy said...

The whole Australia thing's gonna be tough to make lineup with wanting to cut down Christmas trees in the snow.

Glad that you heard from the boy, though. I remember how tough that first year of college was when The Girl was in France and we'd officially broken up but didn't feel at all broken up.