Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Week of Hell...er, Growing Up

This is bizarre: trees are changing color from green to orange and leaves are littering the ground...all before I've even started school. Here I am stuck in summer. But I'm not sure whether I'm ready for autumn yet...

Because this is what autumn brings:

September 21 - Move In Day at Ohio State
September 23 - He leaves for Army Basic Training
September 24 - First day of classes

I'll pack up my room, move an hour and a half away from the comfort zone I've spent 18 years carving out and I'll essentially begin a new chapter in life. And I have to accomplish all of this while I say goodbye to the person who is most significant to my overall happiness.

There is no way I'm going to survive The Week of Hell. But it keeps getting closer and closer, just looming there in my future.

On the one hand, I'm extremely excited for college so I guess I shouldn't refer to it as "The Week of Hell." I only wish these life-altering events weren't all taking place within the same four-day span. C'mon, give a girl a break. This is a huge, enormous, gajillion-pound amount of change that I'm probably not old or wise enough to handle. I keep asking myself, "So when did I start growing up?"

2 comments:

Katydid said...

I ask myself that same question everyday. When did we get so old and so...responsible.

We were in an "adult" shop the other night and I kept thinking that I needed to leave because I wasn't old enough.

It's such a weird feeling, this newfound independence.

achilles3 said...

I still feel weird when I DRIVE by adult shops!
Have fun Em...I would say just write as much as you can cuz looking back on "hell weeks" are a blast believe it or not!