Friday, June 20, 2008

Anti-Love

I'm on a strike against love right now, at least in entertainment. I don't want to watch love scenes in movies or on television and I don't want to read about love stories in novels. So I picked up The Andromeda Strain by Micheal Crichton, which is about an alien bacteria that kills fifty people in the town of Piedmont, Arizona and Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, which is about a school shooting in Sterling, New Hampshire. Pretty morbid, I know. The Andromeda Strain was very disappointing...it just ended with too much simplicity and abruptness. I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult's writing but I enjoyed her latest novel Change of Heart much more than Nineteen Minutes. Usually there is more twisting and turning in her novels but I was less excited during Nineteen. I plan to start reading a book I've heard a lot about, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby. The whole story seems so heroic and poignant. As far as television, I haven't been watching much. But I've become pretty addicted to America's Best Dance Crew on MTV and What Not To Wear on TLC. No lovey-dovey shit, as you can see.

No comments: