Friday, October 9, 2009

Kidney Punch



Last night, the boyfriend drove me to Urgent Care for a UTI/kidney infection. It was really cute (not the infection, but the fact that he was taking care of me when I was too stressed to take care of myself). He's also bugging me about checking my blood sugars more often which I actually appreciate. Because my blood sugar numbers have been crap lately. So things are going well on the relationship front and improving on the health front.

The reason I was so incredibly stressed was because I had a big exam and a quiz this week. But I survived my first exam in the School of Nursing! For Nursing 385: Integrated Sciences for Nursing Practice--a class that had only 5 or 6 A's last year out of 166. I got a B+ and I was only one question away from getting an A!

The midterm covered pathophysiology and pharmacology which are subjects that I find really interesting. We learned about the Therapeutic Index (it determines whether a drug is more therapeutic or more toxic to the population), IV fluids, fluid and electrolyte imbalances (like hyperkalemia which is too much potassium in the body), pharmacokinetics, etc.

My next big midterm is Wednesday in Nursing 301: Foundational Nursing Concepts. I think it's going to be more challenging because we've covered a lot of extremely broad material regarding hygiene, mobility, and safety.

Although this week was long and busy and stressful--studying, sorority recruitment, Triathlon Club, kidney infection and all--I'm really happy with the way things are going. Yay, sophomore year.

...Now let the weekend finally begin!

2 comments: