Sunday, October 11, 2009

I enjoyed reading Katydid's stream-of-consciousness recount of her evening. So I'm going to do the same for my Saturday night...

I'm in sweatpants, sprawled on the floor of my room with Lauren, Mary, Nat and Katie. We're planning to watch He's Just Not That Into You. I would rather watch Harry Potter. I have every intention of staying in tonight--I had gotten really drunk the night before and game day's are always tiring. It's just going to be a chill night with the girls. We're talking about Katie's ex-boyfriend. My phone lights up so I reach for it. It's a text from Adam; he's in Columbus. I haven't seen him since June and I've hardly spoken to him. But I have a strong desire to see him and find out how his life is going. He's at a party near my house so he meets me halfway. I see him; he has longer hair and he's much thinner. I comment on this and tug his hair. My phone lights up again. It's Trevor. I told him I was going to see Adam and he said okay, but now he is insistent that he come get me. He's drunk; the worst I've ever seen him. I want to stay with Adam because I feel like we haven't talked enough. The party is in the courtyard of an apartment building; it's getting cold out which I love. I know Trevor needs me so I tell Adam that I have to leave. He walks me to the street and we face each other. I tell him I'm dating someone and he is happy for me but he still offers his services if ever I need him to beat up a guy. I thank him. We say that we've missed each other, hug and he kisses me on the lips. I say goodbye and walk to Trevor. When I see him he picks me up. He wants to take me to another house party. He's upset that the Buckeyes beat his beloved Wisconsin Badgers so he yells "Go Badgers!" to everyone who passes. He tells me that he has gotten in a lot of trouble tonight for his drunken stupidity--he was kicked out of a party earlier. You're an idiot. He keeps giving me sloppy kisses. When we get to the party, Trevor will hardly let go of me but when he goes to get another beer--even after I protest--a freshman approaches me about the necklace I'm wearing. We start talking for a few seconds when Trevor pushes him out of the way, wraps an arm around my waist and leads me away. I apologize profusely to the poor freshman. I'm becoming more and more disgusted. This happens a second time when a guy starts casually talking to me. I want to leave. But Trevor wants me to come with him. I'll make sure you get to bed without hurting yourself but then I have to leave, I say. But when we get home, he begs me to stay with him and I know it's too late and too dark for me to walk home alone. He lays on the futon and I can see tears in his eyes. He misses his friends from Wisconsin so much, he tells me. He hates Ohio State; I'm the only good thing here. I rub his back and tell him everything will be okay. I put him to bed and cover him with the blanket I made for him. Then I realize I don't want him to puke on it so I grab another one. I Google "alcohol poisoning" on his iPhone. I listen to make sure he is breathing evenly. I keep the door to his room open and curl up on the futon across the room, making sure I can see him in case something goes wrong. It's fucking cold in this apartment; I can hear the AC running. I don't even know the exact address of his place, what would I do if I had to call 911? I go over the night in my head. What. the. fuck. I text my sister and Kelly. I finally fall asleep at four in the morning. At 8, I wake up, write a note on his door and leave.

2 comments:

Katydid said...

All the shit in life seems to hit at once, yeah?

At least things were good-ish? with Adam. And you didn't have to make a five AM 911 call.

Lee said...

That night could be a movie. Serrriously.