Tuesday, October 20, 2009

First Day as a Student Nurse

I had my first clinical in the hospital today...

My patient was a 55-year-old woman with pulmonary MAC (Mycobacterium avium complex) and pancolitis caused by C. diff . She also had COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). My partner and I helped her with her bed bath, changed her linens and learned from the Patient Care Assistant (PSA) in charge (I never actually met the RN). Due to the C. diff, our patient was in contact isolation which meant we had to wear gowns and gloves. She showed us pictures of her granddaughters and told us about her daughters and how she was excited to go home today.

I learned about filling out patient charts and how to use the computers to look up labs and other data.

I had a low blood sugar at one point during the day, I think because I was sort of nervous. But it was really exciting to finally be in the hospital, even doing the most menial tasks, and I'm looking forward to next week.