Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A random assortment of thoughts

-I'm literally melting in my dorm due to the lack of air conditioning. And it's only going to get worse in the next two weeks. Thanks, Ohio State Housing Department. Fuckers.

-Tomorrow, the Nursing Council is having a pizza party for the newly accepted students. One of my really good friends has not yet been accepted or denied to the program. Which is, in my opinion, absolute bull shit. I can guarantee that many people with higher GPA's (including myself) will not put as much heart into nursing as Jenny will. She's got the personality, the heart and the drive for it--so why the hell does a Chemistry grade get to determine everything?

-For MD (Muscular Dystrophy) camp this summer, I'm given responsibility of an individual camper. I recently received her basic information from my camp director. Her name is Jessica and she's 15-years-old. Interests and hobbies include swimming, horseback riding, canoeing, reading, video games and friends. Needs assistance with stairs, standing and transfer. Has a powered wheelchair and has occasional chocking problems.

I have her phone number so I can contact her parents to introduce myself and address any special needs. But, for some reason, I keep chickening out every time I reach for the phone. I'm terribly nervous and I can't understand why. I guess I feel inexperienced when I know I shouldn't. I've dealt with hypoglycemic attacks at three in the morning at diabetes camp. But I've never worked with someone who has a physical disability--especially at such a young age. I'm just afraid that I won't be knowledgeable or fun enough...

-Friends getting drunk on Tuesday nights and leaving video messages on your Facebook is extremely entertaining. I love video messages!

-I have a monster bruise and massive scar tissue build-up on each thigh from giving insulin shots there too often. But it's my favorite spot. Fuck my life.

-Uncle Tim and Dad have officially decided to ride their bikes across the country together (third time for Pops) in the summer of 2010. Tim will be raising money for his food banks in California while Dad will be raising money for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) again. I'm really excited for both of them!

-Another Glendale Girl wedding is taking place on June 19. Danielle and Dan are getting ready to tie the knot. If one of the girls in my sorority can lend me an ID for the evening, I might get to go to the Bachelorette Party next Saturday!

-If you want to be creeped out by a piece of music, listen to Penderecki's "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima." It sounds like it inspired the music for The Shining or something. Penderecki meant for it to sound like an atomic bomb going off. I kind of hate it and appreciate it at the same time.

-I am going through a phase where I hate every song on my iTunes. Any suggestions for good music?

6 comments:

Murr Nation said...

yes. go to noisetrade.com. It is top albums by indie artists that you can sample and if you like you can download them for free just by entering 5 email addresses of people you think might like them. The good news is the email addresses dont have to be real. Check it out though. I have found TONS of good free music on there

PHSChemGuy said...

I'm recently hooked on Mark Ronson's Version album and the new Green Day.

As for the chemistry grade, there are few things more important than chemistry. Never underestimate.

Lee said...

Murr - THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. I'm hooked on Katie Herzig. You rock.

ChemGuy - As soon as I typed that, I thought maybe I should change "Chemistry" to "Anatomy" so as not to insult you. I apologize!

achilles3 said...

yeah you won't be fun enough...psh
is the Glendale Danielle, Dani H???
If so tell her I love her to death and wish he all the joy in the world!!! She's amazing.

Music:
Chill- Patrick Watson/ Wooden Arms
Dance- Matt and Kim/ Grand
Indie Rock- Frightened Rabbit/ The Midnight Organ Fight
Look smarter and cuter than the average music listener- Beck/ Modern Guilt

Lee said...

lakes - Yep, that's the one! I will tell her you said that, it'll make her happy. And thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check them out.

PHSChemGuy said...

No worries about slagging me when you slag chemistry. I'm okay enough with myself to know the diff.