Saturday, March 28, 2009

Celiac's Disease?



After expressing some health concerns--which I considered to be minor--with my endocrinologist, he decided to test me for Celiac's Disease--an autoimmune disorder where the body cannot tolerate gluten (found in wheat, rye and barley products).

The reason being: people with other autoimmune illnesses like type 1 diabetes and hypothyriodism--i.e. me--are more prone to Celiac's. Great.

Waiting for the results from Wednesday's blood test, I've been trying to enjoy my break rather than focus on how incredibly scared and angry I am...

It's not that I would miss bread or chips all that much--because there are gluten-free versions out there (albeit expensive versions)--but what angers me is that Celiac's would be one more thing in my way. One more thing constricting me. Making me worry about simple matters, like going out to a restaurant with friends. And complicated matters, like traveling to foreign places, additional health complications and even my financial stability in the future.

I dream about studying abroad next summer...but do you think there are going to be "gluten-free" products in a third-world country? Or nutrition and ingredient information at all? I'm set to run the half-marathon in May...but I don't know the first thing about which proper foods to eat on a "gluten-free" diet.

I just don't want anything to stop me from doing what I want to do. And I refuse to let it.

But let's hope all of this worry will be for absolutely nothing. And if it does turn out to be something, whatever happens happens. I'll continue to roll with the punches...Keep 'em coming!

7 comments:

Katydid said...

You better not have that shit because there are many of my mom's brownies in your future.

But even if you do, the resiliency and determination that has carried you this far will just have to carry you a little further. Your strength amazes me.

PHSChemGuy said...

Good luck on being in the clear, though I'm pretty sure you're strong enough to deal.

Lee said...

Katydid and ChemGuy, thank you so much. It really means a lot to me that you guys care. Really.

And thanks for making me feel a little less resentful of these wonderful genetic gifts.

achilles3 said...

I would take cool, smart and fun with Celiac's rather than lame, dumb and boring without Celiac's any day of the week;-)

You'll still be amazing either way PanK!

calencoriel said...

So...what's the verdict? I'm a bit behind with your blog - just catching up with all my kids tonight, in fact...

You know there's a whole aisle for Celiac's disease in Jungle Jim's?

If this ends up being the case, let me know and I'll send you all kinds of appropriate care packages to whatever Third World Country is lucky enough to have you.

Lee said...

NO CELIAC'S DISEASE FOR ME! =)

calencoriel said...

YAY!!!!!!