Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Inspired...



In Chemistry class a few weeks ago, I met a Business major turned pre-Nursing student - a switch in career path that you don't see very often, if ever. When I asked why he had completely flipped his choice of major, he told me his story:

Less than a year ago, his fiance was hit by a drunk drag racer - leaving her in a coma and on life support for several months. Since the accident, he (above) has taken care of her in every way - helping her to overcome severe brain trauma and to rebuild her damaged body. He took off a quarter from school to be with her at all times - and when he came back, he had a completely new plan. "I learned so much taking care of her...I decided to become a nurse instead," he told me.

In the Facebook group dedicated to his fiance, he writes, "I'm beginning nursing school at OSU because of the care and compassion of the nursing staff at Mt Carmel Neuro ICU. I hope to build my career and give the same care and compassion to those who need it."

For a long time, my mind has been made up that nursing is what I want to do. The more I learn about and interact with people in the health field, the less I can picture myself doing anything else in the future. I'm inspired by people like my friend and his fiance, by the cancer patients I smile at every Friday morning in the medical center, by the many nurses who work on the Endocrinology floor at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati.

I'm excited to see everything that lies ahead of me in nursing.

1 comment:

achilles3 said...

Very uplifting to read about you so pumped to help others!